VPS - Seattle

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VPS - Seattle

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Hello,

Does NF offer VPS servers in Seattle, or will they ever offer them? I tried to order, but there's no Seattle under locations. I'm located in Alberta, Canada, and I need my server to be Seattle.

Thanks, Dusty.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: VPS - Seattle

Post by Edge100x »

We don't currently offer these at other locations than Chicago and Dallas, but we do plan to expand to others soon.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Is there anyway I can be notified when they do become available in Seattle? I'm currently renting a VPS from another hosting company, and I'm far from impressed and want to switch ASAP.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you shoot me an email at support@nfoservers.com, I'll mark it as unread and let you know as soon as they are. If you're looking for a larger size (4 core+), then I can expedite the process.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

What all should I say in the e-mail? No, I don't need THAT much power! :P

Just looking to run a 26 slot CS 1.6 Pub and a 10 slot CS 1.6 Private Server. Currently using a different VPS provider, but I'm constantly having spiking ping issues, etc, and I'm loosing my clients. Just another quick question, but I can install centOS or Fedora Core on my VPS, right?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

rustydusty1717 wrote:What all should I say in the e-mail? No, I don't need THAT much power! :P
:)
Just looking to run a 26 slot CS 1.6 Pub and a 10 slot CS 1.6 Private Server. Currently using a different VPS provider, but I'm constantly having spiking ping issues, etc, and I'm loosing my clients.
Nod. Other rented VPS servers are typically geared towards webhosting and other throughput-oriented tasks, with significant CPU resource sharing so as to fully utilize each machine. There's nothing wrong with that in general; it just doesn't work out well for game server hosting. Here, we give each server its own HT core (I haven't seen that yet at other places) and end up highly under-utilizing our hardware, but the end result is a much better environment for latency-sensitive applications like game servers.

Virtual hosting has really gotten a bad rep when it comes to game server hosting, but hopefully we can change that!
Just another quick question, but I can install centOS or Fedora Core on my VPS, right?
Absolutely. We currently have easy installers for Win2k3, Win2k8, and Gentoo (these come with game installs and the IPs preconfigured), but you can install any other major Linux distribution manually through VNC, by loading its DVD into the virtual drive and booting with it as you might at home. If the OS you'd like to install isn't in the DVD list, I can easily add it for you.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Well so far I'm not a huge fan of VPS servers, but like you said, hopefully we can turn that around! Have an estimated time as to when VPS server are gonna be offered in Seattle? I just cancelled my current VPS today, and I'd like to get my servers back online fairly soon.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I don't have an ETA, but I would not anticipate it happening for at least some number of weeks, due to budget limitations.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Okay thanks. I will have to look for another host in the mean time. Hopefully NF has some VPS up and running in the Seattle area in the new years. That would make I, VERY happy. :mrgreen:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'll try to do it as quickly as I can for you :). Have you thought about getting a regular game server here in the meantime? You can't beat the performance.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I run two pubs usually and might do a private as well, so that wouldn't work. VPS servers are best bang for buck, as long as they run properly. Come one Seattle VPSs! :wink: