Dedicated Server problem

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Dedicated Server problem

Post by Sim »

Our Chicago Dedicated Server is acting up. it takes 30-60mins to make a copy of a 2GB folder. Also the RDP screen goes black at random, the desktop will run slow like your on a old single core system when you try to multi-task on it.

I have tried rebooting it but that didn't work, not sure what else to try to fix this issue. Making a copy of a 2-3GB folder shouldn't take 30-60mins.
Not sure whats causing this problem, our Dallas Dedicated Server works just fine so i don't think its anything on my computer causing the problem.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Dedicated Server problem

Post by Edge100x »

That sounds like it might be an OS / software related problem. Is your CPU usage or memory usage high? Have you had any problems with malware recently? Is some application writing constantly to your hard drive in the background (to check, look for a "Avg. Disk Queue Length" over zero in the performance monitor under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Performance)?
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

No malware problem that i know of, i did download spybot to check but came up empty. The Dedicated Server was running fine other day when applying L4D update.

While copying a folder, core 2 is maxed (12% cpu usage) out while the other cores are idle. It looks like everything trying to run off that one core instead of accessing the other cores.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Copying a file should be a single-threaded operation, and I wouldn't expect it to use multiple cores.

You emailed, and it sounds like this might be due to a deep recovery cycle for the hard drive. Hopefully a "chkdsk" repair will clear this up for you, but if it doesn't, we may have to ship a new hard drive.
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

I did what you said in the email and the Dedicated Server has yet to come back online after the reboot. (rebooted @ 11:25pm CST)
I know you said it could take 1-2 hours but its been 6 hours, we might need a replacement Hard Drive after all. :cry:

I will try accessing it later today, if it doesn't work i will send you an email.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

6 hours is above average, so it sounds like I will have to ship a new drive for you. I'll talk to you more in email and take a final look, though.