How can I access my server through FTP?

Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How can I access my server through FTP?

Post by Edge100x »

We don't recommend running an FTP server unless you need to give access to someone other than the owner -- we say that because you can just upload files through Remote Desktop or SFTP (depending on the OS) instead, or download them directly to the VDS.

To upload files on Windows via Remote Desktop, expand "Options" for your Remote Desktop Connection, then click the "Local Resources" tab and make sure that "Clipboard" is selected. Go into "Advanced" and select to share your local hard drive on the remote machine. After you do this, and connect, you'll be able to copy-and-paste between the two machines, and you'll see your drive listed in Explorer on the remote machine.

To upload files on Linux via SFTP, install a SFTP client such as FileZilla or WinSCP. Connect to the IP of your server just as you would through SSH, then upload and download files through its interface.

If you'd prefer to run FTP, we suggest going with FileZilla Server on Windows: http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FileZilla_FTP_Server. On Linux, vsftpd is the preferred solution ("emerge vsftpd" or "yum install vsftpd" for Gentoo or CentOS, respectively).
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: How can I access my server through FTP?

Post by Edge100x »

On Linux, you'd also need to create a file called /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf. These basic settings in that file will work to allow a non-root user to log in with the normal username and password; he'll then see his home folder as the root folder of the FTP.

Code: Select all

anonymous_enable=NO
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
local_umask=022
xferlog_enable=YES
xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd/vsftpd.log
nopriv_user=nobody
ascii_upload_enable=YES
ftpd_banner=Welcome to this Nuclearfallout FTP server.
chroot_local_user=YES
pasv_promiscuous=YES
port_promiscuous=YES
listen=YES
pasv_min_port=60200
pasv_max_port=60300
After writing/uploading this file, here's how you would start vsftpd and make it run by default on Gentoo:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/vsftpd start
rc-update add vsftpd default