Anyone else have listing problems?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Anyone else have listing problems?

Post by Edge100x »

Which of the two scenarios that I mentioned are you seeing, rusty? Also, what are you seeing in your console, and what have you tried to address it? Are you running exactly the same file set here as at home?

Your situation sounds different from the one discussed here, and it's the first time I've heard anyone mention a querying problem outside of the last few days.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Edge100x wrote:Which of the two scenarios that I mentioned are you seeing, rusty? Also, what are you seeing in your console, and what have you tried to address it? Are you running exactly the same file set here as at home?

Your situation sounds different from the one discussed here, and it's the first time I've heard anyone mention a querying problem outside of the last few days.
Well sometimes they show up on the master list, sometimes on game-monitor.com and gametiger.com. It's really a hit and miss on which it will show up on. I'm seeing nothing unusual in console, besides the server connecting to the master server and going secure. Yeah, exact same folder completely. Only thing I've changed is the servername and the IP on the command line.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

In the console, is it saying that it's using the same master servers on both machines?

You're not running any sort of firewall on the VDS, are you? It's also the same OS kernel as at home (WinXP = Win2k3, Vista = Win2k8, Windows 7 = Win2k8 R2)?
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Edge100x wrote:In the console, is it saying that it's using the same master servers on both machines?

You're not running any sort of firewall on the VDS, are you? It's also the same OS kernel as at home (WinXP = Win2k3, Vista = Win2k8, Windows 7 = Win2k8 R2)?
I don't remember if they both used same master server. I had to cancel my VPS due to the servers being dead 24/7. Not sure if it was because the servers only showed up on the master list sometimes or not, but that's the past.

No, never ran any sort of firewall. Yeah, I used CentOS 5.4 on both the VPS and the server I got at home. Just a router at home, with the correct ports port forwarded. One at home runs fine at a steady 500FPS as well, but my business cable doesn't compete with Internap :P
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you'd like to try it again here, let me know, and we can give it a closer look together. I'm thinking that there must have been something different about the OS/VDS configuration, server installs (were they rsync'd?), or Valve's random master server choices.

I've run many test servers on these VDSes and haven't had problems seeing them in the various lists myself. I did my listing tests on Win2k3, Win2k8, and Gentoo; on CentOS, I did more limited tests that focused mainly on performance.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Edge100x wrote:If you'd like to try it again here, let me know, and we can give it a closer look together. I'm thinking that there must have been something different about the OS/VDS configuration, server installs (were they rsync'd?), or Valve's random master server choices.

I've run many test servers on these VDSes and haven't had problems seeing them in the various lists myself. I did my listing tests on Win2k3, Win2k8, and Gentoo; on CentOS, I did more limited tests that focused mainly on performance.
I was planning on getting another VPS for sure, just gonna wait for Seattle to offer them, plus hopefully Valve has their 'stuff' together by then as well. Not sure if it was on Valve's end or not, but it sure sounds like it. Next time I'm thinking I'm gonna use Gentoo instead. Seems you've done more tweaking to your Gentoo kernel, plus it seems like everyone has better luck with it. I've just used CentOS or Fedora for years, which is why I chose it. I definently prefer linux or windows though. Not having to deal with firedaemon or serverdoc is a huge plus. :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I've been using Gentoo for around a decade now and it's served me well :). I've always wished that Valve's games performed as well on Linux as they do on Windows, though.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I've never had a problem with Gentoo, just go by the old saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. CS Servers run pretty good on Linux, but better on Windows. Not sure about any other games though. I'm sure Linux out performs Windows in a fair amount of games.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I checked with Valve, and the A2C_PRINT errors are actually a red herring. They are supposed to happen once when any older-engine server is started, and as long as they don't repeat every few minutes, they won't cause a problem.

So if someone's server isn't showing up on the list, there's likely a different culprit involved, or another "heartbeat" just needs to be run on the game server.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Well all my server's are showing up since the update yesterday. Not sure if they fixed the issue, or if it 'magically' did, either way I'm a happy n00b. :)