vds fps

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
joey@westscrim.com
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

vds fps

Post by joey@westscrim.com »

My OS is Windows 2008.
I run 3 cs1.6 servers. 2 pubs and 1 priv.
I get constant 950-1000fps on my priv. The fps on the pubs fluctuate between 500-1000, staying mostly around 600.

How can I get the pubs to run a constant 1000fps?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: vds fps

Post by Edge100x »

If the private is running at the full FPS, something must be different about the pubs. When you remove that difference, do they all run at a stable 1000?

What sorts of CPU usage numbers are you seeing in the Windows task manager when the servers are running?

Are you running all the servers at high priority?

What sys_ticrate are you using for the servers?

Are you measuring the FPS externally (through rcon) while disconnected from remote desktop/VNC, with at least a few seconds in between each measurement?

Independent of the answers to these questions, it is always the case that having a single core and multiple servers is tougher on the OS, because it has to juggle them more. In addition, when Windows is run with HPET enabled, there is naturally more fluctuation (even if it's just a little more) than with it off. So, you could consider trying turning off HPET; this would run the servers at 500fps, but it would be more stable.
joey@westscrim.com
New to forums
New to forums

CPU usage is 0-1.

Currently I do have them all running high cpu, but I did put the pubs back to normal but that did not help.

sys_ticrate 0

Yes, I disconnect from the server and check through rcon stats. Still fps fluctuation.

I'll look through the server.cfg files.

If I have one value in the shrotcut command line and another value for the same setting in server.cfg, which prevails?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The one that's processed last would prevail -- server.cfg.

With that low of CPU usage, I'd guess a plugin stealing small amounts of CPU on random frames as the culprit before anything else. You might try disabling plugins on the pub servers temporarily to see if that is indeed the case.

A predictable FPS is more important than a high one. If you don't want to lower all of the servers to 500fps by turning off HPET, and don't want to change their configurations much from what they are now, you might also consider running just the pubs with a lower sys_ticrate, such as 500.
joey@westscrim.com
New to forums
New to forums

Wow.....

It's just that easy...all this time. LOL..
So I only changed values in the priv server.cfg.
fps_max was 999
sys_ticrate was 1000......

I changed them both to 0 and now its stable.
joey@westscrim.com
New to forums
New to forums

Thank you for your help. I feel a bit retarted now, but now it works. :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm glad to hear that updating sys_ticrate was all it took :).