VDS and Extra IP question

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Grainger
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VDS and Extra IP question

Post by Grainger »

Hi,

I have a VDS, and notice that you can get an extra IP address. I don't really know how someone would use that option. Could someone explain? I did not find any information on the board or FAQ section.

For example, How do you access the extra IP address? With the remote desktop session? Does it take you to the same desktop as the original VDS?

If I wanted to start a game server using one IP address, and then a teamspeak server on the other, how would that work?

Thanks!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: VDS and Extra IP question

Post by Edge100x »

The extra IP would be attached to the same machine and any service running on the machine would be able to bind to it. Most people use extra IPs so that they can run different instances of a service on the same port -- for instance, a CS 1.6 server on each of two IP addresses.

If you're looking to run a single game server and TS server, there wouldn't be a need for a second IP, since the two services do not have overlapping ports. But, you could do it if you wished.

By default, Windows does allow RDP connections to any configured IP address.
Grainger
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Grainger »

Thanks for the info. I see that using remote desktop with either IP address takes me to the same desktop.

I guess now my question is how to I "bind the service" to the new IP address?
My application is to use the new IP address to run a game second game server at the same port number, like you mentioned above.

(I wasn't very successful finding useful information online--maybe I just don't know what to type into google.)

Do I need to install a bind sevice? Or is there a command line?

Thanks
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Generally you do this on the command line to the server, or in one of its configuration files. For instance, with a CS 1.6 server, you'd do it as we describe in this tutorial: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =46&t=4163

If you can provide your game type, I can give you more targeted advice on this :)
Grainger
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Grainger »

Ah, old game, relatively speaking.

Star wars battlefront dedicated server
http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=a ... 11c2d661dd

No configuration files, as far as I know that involve ports or IP bindings.

It supports servers on port 3658 and 3659. I was hoping to use another IP address to run an additional private server on the new IP address at 3658.

Thanks
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Ikes. I haven't run servers for that game, so I'm not sure if it supports choosing the IP/port, as nearly all other games do. If it doesn't, it might require another VDS :\

That actually might be why we don't run servers for it on our normal managed hosting, as IP binding is a requirement here.
Grainger
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Grainger »

Looking at my netstat information, it appears that the game opens the next sequential port when starting a server, e.g 3569, 3569, 3570, etc.

(I will keep a watch out for stability issues.)

So I can get what I want with just the one IP address.

For others that may be interested, there is a program out there for windows called
"forcebind" that alledgedly binds an executable to a particular IP address. This did not work for me though.

Thanks.