OS linux / Windows Ram usage.

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
dukenukemz
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

OS linux / Windows Ram usage.

Post by dukenukemz »

How much ram does linux use on a VDS? i have a single core VDS server at the moment with windows 2008 on it and it boots around 500 megs of ramish area, if i were to install linux which one would let me get 1000FPS + low ram useage?
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: OS linux / Windows Ram usage.

Post by rustydusty1717 »

CentOS and Gentoo use less than 50MB, or around there.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: OS linux / Windows Ram usage.

Post by Edge100x »

dukenukemz wrote:How much ram does linux use on a VDS? i have a single core VDS server at the moment with windows 2008 on it and it boots around 500 megs of ramish area, if i were to install linux which one would let me get 1000FPS + low ram useage?
On both OSes, it can be difficult to read how much RAM is truly in use sometimes. In Windows, are you looking at your total RAM minus the "Available" number in the task manager?

Linux does use a bit less RAM than Windows -- around 50 MB for the base kernel, as rusty said. I'd recommend the Gentoo default install here as the leanest of the two autoinstalled kernel options (and probably the leanest across all Linux flavors).