Cpu usage

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
dukenukemz
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Cpu usage

Post by dukenukemz »

There may already be a post about this but if i run gameservers on my VDS should the cpu usage always be around 0-1%? or can it go higher to say 10-20%? or will that cause game instability?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Cpu usage

Post by Edge100x »

If your CPU usage is 1% of a core, that's awesome, and it's going to give you an amazing and predictable FPS.

As it goes higher, on any system (VDS or dedicated server), it will be harder to maintain a steady, high FPS rate. This could show in-game as choke or realized updaterate decreases, and generally performance should degrade gracefully. I recommend keeping usage of a single core below 40-50% when possible, but you can usually go as high as about 80% before the players start to see "spiking" or other strange behavior in-game.
dukenukemz
A regular
A regular

Re: Cpu usage

Post by dukenukemz »

thank you very much for the quick reply :) i see i can put my server a bit further. hehe