Redirecting servers?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
sungersoo
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Redirecting servers?

Post by sungersoo »

I know nfo does this with their servers along with some other servers. I see a lot of servers with the same name with the same number of bots and when I try to connect to it, it sends me to another server. What is that? And how do I get it?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Redirecting servers?

Post by Edge100x »

Those are servers that people have put up to try to increase their profile on the server list. Their operators generally run them with a plugin that makes it look like people are in the server (like fakefull) and another plugin that redirects anyone who connects to the actual, playable server.

Whether they actually help traffic levels, I do not know.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Redirecting servers?

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I used to do this on my CS server's and it actually worked wonderfully. I started doing this before anyone else really started to, about 5 years ago I'd say. Back then no one knew about redirect servers so it worked wonderfully, not sure about anymore though. Everyone knows about the 'bots' addon you can turn on to filter bot servers.