auto start for cento linux os

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: auto start for cento linux os

Post by Edge100x »

mateckz wrote:dont do the -AmdS screenname correct cause when i tried it just in terminal it didnt work?
You absolutely do need the "-AmdS screenname" part. Otherwise, it won't start.

When successful, it starts the screen in the background. I talk about this thoroughly in that post -- please read it!
Only disadvantage of using & over the screen way is you can't open the terminal window back up.
From the same session, use the "fg" command to bring a background task to the foreground. Then, stop it with Control-Z and use "bg" to put it back into the background. But, doing this is invasive, since Control-Z stops the job, leading to the server freezing.

You really should be using "screen" instead, since it isn't tied to a console session and does not have the limitations that running tasks in the background does. mateckz, don't use "&" unless you never want to interact with the process again.
mateckz
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mateckz »

i dont understand, ventrilo is working but hlds is not hmnmmmm :x
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

mateckz wrote:i dont understand, ventrilo is working but hlds is not hmnmmmm :x
Well, what does "screen -ls" show you, after you follow the exact instructions in the guide?
mateckz
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mateckz »

cd /root/ventrilo/ventsrv
./ventrilo_srv &

cd /root/hlds
screen chrt -r 20 ./hlds_run -game cstrike -autoupdate -pingboost 2 +port 27015 +ip 63.251.20.129 +maxplayers 11

this is how the instructions say to do it correct?

screen -ls does nothing, if we cant get it to work forever ive been working on this for 3 hours now doing exactly what the post says
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

mateckz wrote:this is how the instructions say to do it correct?
No, that's not what they say to do. As I said in my prior post, you are breaking it by using the wrong "screen" line.

Again, just do what http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =46&t=4163 says, but edit /etc/rc.local instead of /etc/conf.d/local.start. These instructions are known to work, and they talk about how to use "screen" afterward to interact with the server.

Instead of rebooting each time, just test with the commands directly, by executing /etc/rc.local or entering them into your shell session.
mateckz
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mateckz »

i did that exact thing screen doesnt even work as a command for cento or something i dunno oh well lol i just wont be lazy ill just open a terminal every time i want to open hlsd lol thanks for the help tho
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you don't have "screen" installed already, install it first: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... 55&start=6. I've updated the tutorial to reflect this.
mateckz
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mateckz »

HAHAHA omg okay i got it im sorry i know you were getting frustrated and so was i apologize its working now, but when i log into the vpn there is no "log in screen" is that normal, its really no big deal because everythign is workign how i need it to THANKS A TON AGAIN AND IM EFFIN SORRY hahaha :cry:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If there's no log in screen through the VNC console, that most likely means that one of the services you started is running in the foreground. Make sure that anything that needs to run as a daemon is started through "screen -AmdS screenname command".