Windows Users:

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
dL-Templisk
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Windows Users:

Post by dL-Templisk »

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/0 ... index.html

Experts anxious over possible Web attack
By Jeordan Legon and Marsha Walton
CNN
Thursday, July 31, 2003 Posted: 5:31 PM EDT (2131 GMT)

(CNN) -- Seeing a rise in hacker activity that could be a prelude to a broad Internet attack, security experts Thursday urged computer users to protect their machines by installing a free patch offered by Microsoft.

The Homeland Security Department warned it has detected an increase in hackers scanning the Internet to find vulnerable computers.

"That's a sure sign the intruder community is actively interested in finding out who they can exploit," said Jeffrey Havrilla, an Internet security analyst at the government's CERT Coordination Center, which monitors computer security.

Concerns mount
The vulnerability affects almost all computers running Microsoft's Windows operating system software. The flaw, involving so-called "buffer overflows," can fool software into accepting insecure commands that could let intruders steal data, delete files or eavesdrop on e-mails.

Experts worry that home computer users and corporations might delay installing the needed patch and as a result leave their computers open to attack.

"They can take complete control of a machine. They can take it down. They can reformat the hard drive. They can scan for information," said Dan Ingevaldson, engineering director at Internet Security Systems in Atlanta.

New tools tested
Government experts said hackers have tested new tools in recent days to seize unsecured computers.

Internet security firms issued similar warnings, saying they've seen increased chatter in hacker discussion groups and chat rooms about how to take advantage of Windows' vulnerability.

"We are expecting something sooner rather than later," Ingevaldson said. "But there's no horizon on some of these things."

Uncertain about attack
Security watchdogs said there is no way of knowing if or when an attack might take place. They urged users not to gamble and install the patch quickly.

The latest versions of Windows XP prompt users to do this automatically, but those with older versions should visit http://www.windowsupdate.com to get the download.

Just so ya guys know =\ One of my computers has already fallen victim to this, my entire hard drive was wiped (probably with a command similar to deltree y*.*) I WAS able to reformat but I don't have my windows xp install disc so yeah, it could be inconvient or catastrophic or not even affect you at all.
master_cyph3r
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by master_cyph3r »

excellent, thanks for the heads up 8O
master_cyph3r
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by master_cyph3r »

i would just like to say in here, if you took the time to get the update and read what he had to say, your smart. he probably saved MY computer with this headsup.
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

you should set your computer to do auto critical updates

if you do already, or just frequent windows update, you have saved yourself from the w32 blaster worm thats going around.

for those infected, sucks to be you.

for those protected, GOOD JOB!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If anyone was curious, we fixed all our machines the day the security flaw was announced and patched. I believe that was somewhere around July 22.
Anubis
Staff
Staff

Post by Anubis »

Thats cuz NFo is super leet!!!

:wink: :wink:
IRC @ #ruthlesslords on Gamesnet

http://www.ruthlesslords.net

rlpub.nuclearfallout.net
dL-Templisk
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by dL-Templisk »

Are NFo servers vulnerable to the new blasterworm/LoveSAN things that have been released? And have they been infected already are the ports they work on blocked =\
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

dL-Templisk, like I said our servers have been patched since the beginning. They are not vulnerable.