Terraria Servers

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
AnuXis
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Terraria Servers

Post by AnuXis »

Hello, and please excuse if I placed this topic in the wrong section of the forum, but I was wondering if you, NFo, had any plans to support and offer Terraria servers when the dedicated servers are released?
I am a loyal NFo fan and would love to have a Terraria server run by you guys.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Terraria Servers

Post by Edge100x »

We haven't added Minecraft yet, and I'll want to finish that before working on other unique games, but this is something that I will put on my list to investigate.
AnuXis
New to forums
New to forums

Post by AnuXis »

Ok, seems reasonable enough. I will look forward to one day maybe being able to rent a Terraria server.
flipanda
New to forums
New to forums

Post by flipanda »

would it be possible to buy a vps and host terraria on that?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, that is very likely. An unmanaged VDS can run anything that a regular dedicated machine could, as long as it doesn't have specific hardware requirements (like a hardware 3D accelerator).
coupsan
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by coupsan »

I'm not personally interested in it, but a Terraria server might be more manageable than a Minecraft server because worlds aren't generated past the initial generation. They only have three preset sizes.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I have worked a bit with the server side of the game that they added in a recent patch. They are rather basic and simple to run, but there are a couple of concerns in hosting them that I have seen.

First, they use a lot of RAM. Perhaps not as much RAM as Minecraft, but more than a typical game server. I saw had a server running a medium size world using around 400MB of RAM.

The largest concern is that they don't seem to have a way to set the server IP, only the server port. While this wouldn't be a concern for most people wanting to run their own server on a VDS, it does prevent us from being able to host it as a supported game.
TimeX
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

What about on Managed full machines, would NFo be able to add it to them?
The default port is 7777 i think, not that many games use that port.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Managed machines can run only games that are on the regular order page at https://www.nfoservers.com/order.php, so I will need to add support for it in order for managed customers to create servers.
Dragoon209
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Dragoon209 »

Sorry to Zombie this old thread... but has there been any movement on this? I would love to have you guys host my Terraria server, but it doesn't look as if you guys are offering a managed version of them yet.

Are there any plans on providing a managed game server for Terraria?

Thanks in Advance!
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

We're still going to look at this further when time permits. One problem before was the high RAM usage, but that has been improved. I haven't run one myself in awhile, so I am not sure just how much improved the RAM usage is.
TimeX
Dragoon209
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Dragoon209 »

I'm running a server with TShock, a Modified server, and its currently hosting a world at 650MB. I'll launch a vanilla server later on tonight, and let you know.

Edit: This is with a LARGE world, for reference
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

That is still high, but about 300MB better than before if a stock server is about the same.
TimeX
Dragoon209
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Dragoon209 »

Okay, I ran a few tests.

On a Large world (which, I would imagine would be the preferred size for most players), RAM usage was around 1 GIG (!!) after initial new world creation. It looks like this was actually due to the server not releasing resources after it was done.

on a close, and relaunch of the server loading the same new generated world, it hovers around 600 Megs.

Seems there isn't much of a difference between TShock and Stock servers as far as RAM is concerned.
Dragoon209
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Dragoon209 »

Quick Add:

The newest version of TShock (3.4.2.1233) drops RAM usage down to 250MB! I don't know what they are doing, but they are doing it right!