bf3 server settings

imafiretruck
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

bf3 server settings

Post by imafiretruck »

I guess I just do not understand bf3 server administration. I am having a hell of a time. So correct me if I'm wrong. I just do not understand this...

Some setting changes require a map restart TRUE

Some setting changes require a server restart TRUE

Using easy setup does not always set things properly TRUE

Using startup.txt does NOT always set things properly TRUE

Setting easy setup and startup.txt then doing a server reboot is the ONLY way to guarantees all settings work correctly, specifically server name changes, both easy setup and startup.txt need to be identical before server restart. TRUE

Using 3rd party admin tools rconnet.de, procon, bf3cc and other programs can change some settings and those settings activate based on either map restart or server restart TRUE

BUT Rarely do 3rd party admin tools actually adjust the settings on the server. TRUE

what is the most effective way to manage a bf3 server? where when i change a setting its going to stick? Is there just a program out there that can generate a startup.cfg and ill just upload it every time. Instead of relying on some program to communicate with the server.

Thanks for your input guys. Just tired of having to restart the servers over and over.

EDIT;PS

My clan will continue to use nfoservers.com for servers, rconnet for webbased admin and ingame admin and spammer and maplist.

But other then that im confused at why nothing ever sticks...
imafiretruck
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Re: bf3 server settings

Post by imafiretruck »

maplist.txt always updates properly its just startup.txt that doesnt from 3rd party.
Sorry
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sorry »

Procon has a config generator. All changes made in the procon settings will generate the vars scripts. You can place these in the startup config. I used the easy startup config in nfo though and the settings stuck. I run the server in hardcore. What setting isnt staying? Maybe it is a bug.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I can't speak for 3rd party utilities, but the Easy setup page always works, as much as the game allows. It adjusts both the settings in-game and in startup.txt for you. Some of these settings may require a map change or server restart to take effect.

You do not need to edit startup.txt separately if you submit the Easy setup page.
imafiretruck
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by imafiretruck »

first off for 3rd party I understand you cannot vouch for them. I totally understand. This was more of a question then a complaint. Im trying to figure out what the best route it.

A good example with easy setup is... it does not always set the server name in startup.txt when I change it in easy setup.

I have yet to run into a scenario where easy setup does not work. Its very good coding. Besides the server name issue.

The problem I have with easy setup. Is if want to give access to some one that includes just that page they can edit admins daemon.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The Easy setup page does not set a server name in startup.txt. It sets that in ServerOptions.cfg, which is an RSP-access-only file. This is for historical reasons. You should remove any name specification that you may have inadvertently added to startup.cfg if you want the Easy setup page value to work.
imafiretruck
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by imafiretruck »

Edge. I love you. You and NFOservers.com have the best support ever. I have a bro crush.
imafiretruck
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by imafiretruck »

Well it is also official. We are dropping every other 3rd party program for easy setup. Thank you for the continued support edge.

As previously mentioned, can you add the option where / command works in place of the ! command. As using a / hides the text from everyone ele

Currently have to type /!say HI EVERYONE to say it with out it saying it twice.

That is my only request at this time.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I don't believe that can be distinguished from regular chat on our side -- at least, they looked the same in BC2. This means that we still need the !.
imafiretruck
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by imafiretruck »

Function 1
Also could you add a function where anyone could do command !admin or !help and it would send an email to an admin.

It would help me administrate my servers with out having to have so many active admins.

Function 2
Server status page, could you add some more stats to this page.

Say a kick button or a ban button so that I can easily kick or ban some one.

And can it be sortable.

just food for thought. I am not fully devoted to helping give feedback and ideas to nfoservers.com as i fully support the work and effort that is put in by the teams of people at nfoservers.com thank you!
imafiretruck
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by imafiretruck »

Edge100x wrote:I don't believe that can be distinguished from regular chat on our side -- at least, they looked the same in BC2. This means that we still need the !.

rconnet uses /commands

/say
/kick

and the server picks up the commands...

if it is not doable on your end I understand.

THANKS FOR THE CONTINUED SUPPORT.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

imafiretruck, the problem is that doing that would also make them behave the same way in chat (no longer requiring the !). That's not what we want.

Any suggestions for improving the daemon need to be kept in this thread: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... &start=285. That's where I turn first when considering what to develop next.
woowoo
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by woowoo »

One clarification question - on easy setup - which changes require a server restart and which do not? I do notice many don't take effect immediately - possibly requiring either a map change or a restart. Any thoughts?
imafiretruck
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by imafiretruck »

@edge I will post there next. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I truly appreciate it.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

woowoo, the docs make claims about which require restarts and map changes, but they don't seem to be be accurate a lot of the time. At some point we will have to go through and manually see which settings do take effect right away, but I wanted to wait until the server is stable and mostly-finalized first. DICE is still adding and tweaking settings with each version.