limiting sv_downloadurl to your server only

finn
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

limiting sv_downloadurl to your server only

Post by finn »

Does anyone from NFO recommend or agree doing this to prevent other server owners "borrowing" your download url for their own use?
Create a .htaccess file with the following as an example:

Code: Select all

SetEnvIfNoCase Referer hl2://xx\.xx\.xx\.xx allow_download
    Order Deny,Allow
    Allow from env=allow_download
    Deny from all
Replace xx.xx.xx.xx with your server IP and place the .htaccess in your base sv_downloadurl folder.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: limiting sv_downloadurl to your server only

Post by kraze »

I wouldn't say it is needed, no.

Do you have some special files on your redirect that you don't want people to download?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
finn
A regular
A regular

Post by finn »

It is a matter of other server owners using mine/nfo's bandwidth for map downloads. I know we are given unlimited bw, but maybe it would be in NFO's interest to protect their own as a whole?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

finn wrote:It is a matter of other server owners using mine/nfo's bandwidth for map downloads. I know we are given unlimited bw, but maybe it would be in NFO's interest to protect their own as a whole?
I wouldn't say its a very common issue, at least one that has not posed a problem..yet.

Since all of your downloads have hundreds of other locations where you can download them its not a big deal, plus most people have no idea how to get to the location of the downloads.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
finn
A regular
A regular

Post by finn »

Its not relative that anyone can get the custom maps from any public website.

The fact that any person who wants to run their own Dedicated Server, could potentially use NFO's bandwidth to provide FastDL functionality without having to pay for any webhosting.

If a person was knowledgable enough to learn how to run their own dedicated server I think they would easily know how to grab the downloadurl when connecting to a server with a custom map.

I realized that aslong as NFO provided unlimited bw for webhosting with customer's accounts then it doesn't personally affect the customer. But maybe it could be a way for NFO to further protect their assets and keep their bw use within its customer base rather than letting freeloaders abuse your network.

You guys still provide a great service so its no skin off my back with this potential issue.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

All good points but overall it hasn't proven to be an issue :/

The main cause is that the user that would be stealing the link has no access or control over whats there. It wouldn't be smart or feasible to use someone else's link since there is no guarantee the map you are running will be there tomorrow, or if they want to run a map you don't have.

It's almost easier to just buy the $2.99 webhosting and host your own :D

Overall if anyone would like to lock down the folder, then by all means please do.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

finn, it's a good question and we appreciate the concern. We don't put limits like this on our end because of the unlimited nature of the hosting, but you are welcome to do so on yours if you'd like.