Considering upping the slot count on managed VDS.

IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Considering upping the slot count on managed VDS.

Post by IcEWoLF »

48 slots for BF4 doesn't sound much, I mean, if a vds can run a 64 slot BF3 server, I would think it could run a 70 BF4 server.

Have you guys done any testing?
How about offering the higher tier slots for customers that have x amount of cores on their vds machine?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Considering upping the slot count on managed VDS.

Post by kraze »

We have a soft cap of 48 players for BF3, we haven't done any in-depth VDS testing for BF4 yet but with the usage being slightly higher it may balance itself out to be right around the same amount.

The cap is also a soft cap so users which are placed on faster machines such as the 1270v3 and E5-2690V2 can go higher.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
bootlegger
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bootlegger »

are you saying that we can not run 64 slot server on VDS's ?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

bootlegger wrote:are you saying that we can not run 64 slot server on VDS's ?
You can, but for BF3 we have imposed a soft cap of 48 slots, customers can go higher than this but it invokes our performance guarantee for managed VDS's.

BF4 still needs more testing, though.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

IcEWoLF wrote:48 slots for BF4 doesn't sound much, I mean, if a vds can run a 64 slot BF3 server, I would think it could run a 70 BF4 server.
A VDS can't run a 64-slot BF3 server, in my experience. 48 slots is the most we support on VDSes for BF3, and we kept that for BF4. BF4 uses more resources than BF3, so perhaps we should lower it.

You can try more, but you will likely see performance problems. Since we don't officially support them, we can't help you with a managed-VDS server over 48 slots, and our performance guarantee does not apply.
10-78 Busterking
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by 10-78 Busterking »

Edge100x wrote:
IcEWoLF wrote:48 slots for BF4 doesn't sound much, I mean, if a vds can run a 64 slot BF3 server, I would think it could run a 70 BF4 server.
A VDS can't run a 64-slot BF3 server, in my experience. 48 slots is the most we support on VDSes for BF3, and we kept that for BF4. BF4 uses more resources than BF3, so perhaps we should lower it.

You can try more, but you will likely see performance problems. Since we don't officially support them, we can't help you with a managed-VDS server over 48 slots, and our performance guarantee does not apply.
Can we have multiple 48 slots BF4 servers on our managed-VDS ?

Or even multiple smaller ones, like 32 slots ?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Yes, you have technically run as many as you'd like but at a point CPU usage will become an issue.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
GaWebDevDotCom
A regular
A regular

Post by GaWebDevDotCom »

Edge100x wrote:

Wow. So I'm a little confused here now as I was informed via support tickets that a VDS would be the "requirement" for BF4 and I upgraded to one last week based on this information. Now if what I'm understanding is correct it's being said VDS is not the solution to host my BF4 servers?

So would/could you clarify what I do need. I currently have 3 core vds. Will drop the BF3 32 on it now at next term up. Will keep the ts3 30 slot (would prefer to keep i.p. as well) but will be needing 2 67 slot BF4's and a 35 BF4.

Thanks in advance.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

GaWebDevDotCom wrote:
Edge100x wrote:

Wow. So I'm a little confused here now as I was informed via support tickets that a VDS would be the "requirement" for BF4 and I upgraded to one last week based on this information. Now if what I'm understanding is correct it's being said VDS is not the solution to host my BF4 servers?

So would/could you clarify what I do need. I currently have 3 core vds. Will drop the BF3 32 on it now at next term up. Will keep the ts3 30 slot (would prefer to keep i.p. as well) but will be needing 2 67 slot BF4's and a 35 BF4.

Thanks in advance.
Who told you a VDS was a requirement for BF4? Currently there is a soft cap in place for BF3 and BF4 servers on managed VDS's. In our testing the performance seen didn't line up with our performance guarantee. You are more than welcome to run larger servers but you could see some issues. I imagine we'll also retest with BF4 on VDS's to confirm.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
GaWebDevDotCom
A regular
A regular

Post by GaWebDevDotCom »

IcEWoLF wrote: Who told you a VDS was a requirement for BF4?
I'd have to reference the support tickets in cp but I'm more interested in the "suggested solution" to running say a minimum of 2 70 slots and 1 35. I have had up to 4 64's and 1 32 running here at any one given time and just need to determine what is going to be the minimal hardware set-up (*with performance guarantee) for my BF community to run the BF4 set-up mentioned above.

Like many I just want to make sure that the servers I set-up for the community I manage are performing optimally and that I'm not overspending out of ignorance on my part. Thanks.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Since VDS's have a soft 48 player cap per server it is not likely you would be able to get a full 70 slot server onto a VDS without issue, with faster hardware such as the V2,V3 or 2690V2 it may be possible to push that a bit farther but it's still a little early to say for sure.

You may want to consider a dedicated machine as well, This would allow you the best performance and room to expand in the future. It would also be the most cost efficient when compared to standard servers in our system.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

We have been considering a dedicated machine, but our current budget is not going to allow us to do that yet.
If we grow enough and gain more donors from BF4, then we will consider moving up, but for now, vds is the best we can do.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

IcEWoLF wrote:We have been considering a dedicated machine, but our current budget is not going to allow us to do that yet.
If we grow enough and gain more donors from BF4, then we will consider moving up, but for now, vds is the best we can do.
Well, much like we did in the sad flop that was MOH: Warfighter (which had so much promise), I'll be happy to play in your server if you play in mine once in a while, as any server admin knows, population breeds population :-)
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

FlyingMongoose wrote:
IcEWoLF wrote:We have been considering a dedicated machine, but our current budget is not going to allow us to do that yet.
Well, much like we did in the sad flop that was MOH: Warfighter (which had so much promise), I'll be happy to play in your server if you play in mine once in a while, as any server admin knows, population breeds population :-)
Looking forward working with you in BF4. Hit me up on steam and_pilot
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

IcEWoLF wrote:
FlyingMongoose wrote:
Looking forward working with you in BF4. Hit me up on steam and_pilot
I think I added you on steam and sent you a message with my battlefield profile (I'm not sure of linking rules to those things here).