CS 1.6: MaxUpdateRate?

Thundaga
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

CS 1.6: MaxUpdateRate?

Post by Thundaga »

We have a 1.6 CS Server hosted by NFO with all the frills (including the new Level 2 Ping Accelerator). However, we have been plagued constantly over the last year with shot registration problems. We have pulled back our plugins (admin mod and amx mod) to just amxx mod, and have tried to reduce all unnecessary plugins but it still has not solved the problem.

For a 16 slot, public server, what is the optimal server-side settings for rates given we use both ping accelerators? We don't have much problem with ping, just with shot registration.

sv_rate: 20000 or 25000?
sv_maxupdaterate: Default is 30, can we change it to 101 without detrimentally affecting other people? Is this wise?

I've done a lot of research on the variables and have not found a definitive answer for our hosting scenario.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Oso
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Oso »

Ahh, pretty weird problem. Bet the Support Staff can help you out with that.
bOoya
Former staff
Former staff

Post by bOoya »

Increasing the sv_maxupdaterate will definately help. For a mid-sized public server you should be fine with 70 to 100.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You should also email us so that we can take a closer look at your server to determine whether the FPS is severely fluctuating; a wildly fluctuating FPS can cause a perception of lag in-game. There are several possible causes for fluctuating FPS.
Thundaga
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Thundaga »

Edge100x wrote:You should also email us so that we can take a closer look at your server to determine whether the FPS is severely fluctuating; a wildly fluctuating FPS can cause a perception of lag in-game. There are several possible causes for fluctuating FPS.
We've never had a FPS issue. I've never gone below my FPS setting of 100 personally. Recently some people have been having FPS and lag issues, but I was told that it was due to an update and that NFO was working on it. That's unrelated though, as we've had shot registration problems dating back beyond a year.

There's no lag or stutter, just poor shot registration. We've attempted to find a pattern, whether it's bad server side rate settings or plugin culprits.

Does NFO recommend tweaking maxupdaterate? I want to present this information to the person who runs our server as a list of recommendations. Would like some NFO input on this, seeing as we've been customers here for over a year and we have purchased the newest Ping Accelerator package.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I meant server-side FPS (such as you'd see through the "rcon stats" command).

Yes, I'd highly recommend that you raise your sv_maxupdaterate on the server side, up to 100 or so. Hyperaccelerated servers can easily handle high rates.
Thundaga
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Thundaga »

That is what I was looking for. Our server owner was hesitant to raise it, so I wanted some assurances.

As for server-side FPS fluctuations, I'll have to check on that.
Thundaga
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Thundaga »

Any potential problems with raising maxrate also to 25000 from 20000? Or no potential benefits?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I don't think that the server needs to send or receive that much data from a client very often (if ever), but it wouldn't hurt.
Thundaga
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Thundaga »

We implemented the changes but unfortunately it still seems like we have a shot registration problem. If it helps, the update that NFO fixed that was causing fps fluctuations for -clients- last week, made the registration seemingly very good for the 2 days after...then it went downhill again. So maybe you guys need to check/monitor the server.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I can do that for you but I'll need you to email us about it. Make sure to include your server identifier so that I'll know which server this is.

Do you mean the update for servers? We can't apply client updates ;). If so, it doesn't make sense that it would have run better for you the 2 days after Thursday's update if it were a CPU usage problem, because for those two days we were absolutely slammed with players, and our servers were strained to their limits.
Thundaga
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Thundaga »

Kay, e-mailing...beware! :)