Unmanaged VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Unmanaged VDS

Post by Edge100x »

If you want to run the server as a system service, I would highly recommend using FireDaemon. If you don't want to go that route, you could try the free srvany.exe solution, but it's more complicated to do.

Services need specially designed executables to run, so when running a game server, you can't use sc.exe without also using srvany.exe. The VB-related link talks about how to write an executable for a service in VB, but doesn't apply here, since you aren't the game's programmer.

If the other servers stayed up while one was crashed, it sounds like that one server froze and used 100% CPU. This would most likely be due to a plugin, as axelkic said. If you're running SourceMod, make sure to run the very latest snapshot, as other versions will crash; if you're running Mani, make sure to use the most recent gametypes.txt file.
mattb
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mattb »

1 of the errors

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: c:\game installs\sourcebase\orangebox\srcds.exe

R6025
- pure vitural funtion call
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The error line given in the game server window would be more useful for that particular one, then. That does sound like a plugin problem, but it could also be an issue with the game itself.
axelkic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by axelkic »

edge100x (i think it's jon, but assuming that could make me look stupid later on), basically nailed it with the whole "auto-restart" and batch file related restart system. if you're computer savvy, do whatever, but if you aren't then hit up firedaemon, i believe the standard edition (which is what you would be using) is even free.

my only comment so far mattb, is that with most unmanaged providers (and i have tried quite a few that are NOT nfo) won't even talk to you about any problems you're having with your server unless it's a hardware configuration problem. with all due respect, i don't know what you expect edge100x to do, if the problem is still persisting maybe it's time to buy the gameservers directly from nfo, its honestly not fair to have a host forced (obligated) to explain how to do what "most" people pay him to do, for virtually nothing. if this is unwarranted, then ban me and remove my posts, but reading through the 4 pages of this thread so far, it's gone on too long. with that being said, i have some good advice to follow...

1) save and backup the current configuration of the server (whatever you want to keep, the whole dir, the cfgs, or anything in between, etc)
2) delete the entire directory
3) reinstall the entire game again (server files)
4) gurantee that the absolute stock configuration is not experiencing the same problems.
5) add one variable at a time, first install the MOD, boot the server, play on it..
is it crashing? running at all? running as expected? running as desired? if it fails any of these questions, describe exactly what the error/problem is and have the logs and steps to recreate it available for people like edge100x to use.
6) slowly add plugins, 1 at a time, and repeat the above steps with each plugin.

in the end, you'll find that this is only saving yourself time, and edge100x time. no offense to him or the staff, there really hasn't been a single post that has had some useful information in diagnosing your problem, and as a result the replies from edge100x have been unhelpful. what i'm really saying is that, before another post comes in with a rather arbitrary error, or another problem, try to take some of the steps to help yourself solve it, or make it easy for someone else to help.