CNAME Subdomain Redirection

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Svv4T
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

CNAME Subdomain Redirection

Post by Svv4T »

Hey Everyone,

I am running a website on a different webhost than NFO. However, in order to run several databases that connect to my gameservers, I had to use a webhosting package from NFO (I needed to have external connection, which my current webhost does not allow).

Now, the problem I have is I wish to tie everything together to my domain name hosted on my webhost. Here what I want to do: For example, from NFO, I am running SourceBans. I created a subdomain on NFO that points to my Public/SourceBans folder (sourcebans.user.site.nfoservers.com). Then I made a CNAME subdomain on my webhost named sourcebans that point to sourcebans.user.site.nfoservers.com

The problem is when I go to sourcebans.mydomain.com, it points to "This website does not exist, you will be redirected to the NFO main page". I sent an email to support, and Vanderburg told me to wait. I've waited about 36 hours now, and cleared my cache. Even asked other people to try the address. It's the same problem. Now, I'm being told by someone else to post here.

If you guys know the answer to this, that would be awesome. I think I'm on the right track, and maybe I missed something obvious.

Thanks!
J.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: CNAME Subdomain Redirection

Post by TimeX »

What is your actual domain that you are redirecting? I can see if my DNS servers handle it differently.
TimeX
Svv4T
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svv4T »

The domain I'm using: hyperiongaming.org is on BlueHost.
The CNAME sourcebans subdomain is: sourcebans.hyperiongaming.org
, and the subdomain on NFO is: sourcebans.plasma.site.nfoservers.com .

Thanks for your help :)
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

It seems to be directing to the general IP instead of the actual subdomain. Are you sure you set it is a CNAME and not an A record?
TimeX
Svv4T
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svv4T »

I made a CNAME sub, not a A, as you can see in the screenshot below.
There's one thing I wasn't sure about. When I made the subdomain, I made 2 entries one: sourcebans, and one www.sourcebans, they both point to the sourcebans subdomain on NFO.
Attachments
cnameredirect.jpg
(70.1 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Perhaps someone else here can shed some light on this then, as I am not quite sure why it wouldn't be working properly.
TimeX
Svv4T
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svv4T »

I will try to contact their support as well. Though, I know they won't reply as fast as NFO support. :cry:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

A CNAME just makes a DNS entry mirror another DNS entry in pointing to a particular IP. When used to retrieve a webpage, your browser sends a request containing the DNS entry (and the rest of the URL) to the IP in question, and the webserver interprets the request and responds. If the webserver isn't configured to recognize a particular DNS entry when used in a URL (as a "vhost"), then you will receive a generic page, or an error message.

To configure the webhosting here to recognize your DNS entry, you would need to add your domain through the "Domains" page in the control panel, which would in turn require that you change your domain servers to ours (ns1.nfoservers.com and ns2.nfoservers.com), and not your other webhost's.

If you wish to keep things simple and don't want to manage your DNS entries here, you could just use our MySQL database, and host the actual page elsewhere.
Svv4T
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svv4T »

I see. It makes sense. Somehow I thought it was possible, since I managed to have my gameme page to show as stats.hyperiongaming.org instead of using their subdomain. But this is different all together.

I will definitely follow the easy solution, and just use the databases from my NFO account, and put the files on my current webhost. So far, it's been working fine.

Do you see any possible issue that may arise from that setup? Is it safe?

Thanks a lot for your help.

J.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

There isn't a notable downside to that setup.
Svv4T
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svv4T »

Yea, I have been able to integrate the pages even better than I thought. Completely seemless in my portal. Thanks again for your help. Awesome support here, as usual. :D (Btw, still no word from my other webhost, heh...)
Svv4T
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svv4T »

So, I'm back because even though just accessing the databases from my primary webhost works well, I would still like to know why I need to transfer my domain to NFO in that case. I was told by BlueHost support that I've setup everything correctly, and that I just need to setup a vhost on my NFO account, so that the subdomain I setup on my domain resolves correctly to the right folder (sourcebans in this case).

Is this true? Am I forgetting something?

Thanks again.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

..I just need to setup a vhost on my NFO account, so that the subdomain I setup on my domain resolves correctly to the right folder (sourcebans in this case).
That's what I said you needed before, too (I described in some depth above).

My system doesn't support this, for sound reasons that I don't remember offhand. At some point, I may reconsider and rewrite the system, but the spare time required for that does not currently exist.
Svv4T
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Svv4T »

Edge100x wrote:My system doesn't support this
Ah ok. That's why it won't work. That's alright. I'll just connect remotely, or find some other ways. Well, thanks a lot for your help.
GitSum
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by GitSum »

Svv4T wrote:Hey Everyone,

... I had to use a webhosting package from NFO (I needed to have external connection, which my current webhost does not allow)
J.
I just now saw this post - but bluehost/hostmonster does permit external connections to their databases.

Go into your control panel > database section, and look for "Remote MySQL"

At the next page just add the ip that you want to allow to connect

While your at the control panel check under logs for "CPU throttling"...

I would suggest you just move everything over to NFO