Server Not Filling? Try THIS!! (BF3)

.Strafe
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Server Not Filling? Try THIS!! (BF3)

Post by .Strafe »

check out the last post in this thread, its a quote from JRipley, they guy who apparently coded the matchmaking part of Battleblog ...

http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =44&t=5985
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Interesting. Basically, he's saying that ConquestLarge0 servers will never get QM players, because the system was designed that way. In that case, those of you with instant-full 64-slot servers must be getting them all through the browser, as I recently surmised.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Not sure why they would favor some game types and modes over others..
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Ironman44
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Ironman44 »

Is there any difference in the physical size of conquest large/small maps or is there just fewer control points ? the reason i ask is this , can u run over 32 slots on a conquest small map ?
zaNe
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by zaNe »

Just fewer Control Points. Map size is still the same.
Brutus
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Brutus »

Before R6 patch I had a 64 player server that was empty. Even when we had 10 people playing nobody would join. I asked for a GUID reset and within 10 minutes the server was full with pubbers. To me that said Quick Match was working. It stayed full for 12 hours and then the server reset, R6 was applied, and not a single pubber since then.

I have deleted the startup.txt file, made sure that all the settings are at the recommended levels, changed it from 64 players to 32 players (glad I wasted the money) and had the GUID reset a number of times.

I just went to the server browser, and did a filter for my servers exact features, including map, player size, empty, etc. About 30 empty servers showed up, mine was not in the browser list and then it started showing populated servers. If I do it by name, with the same discriminators checked it will show my server.

It's almost like some GUIDs are lucky and get into the system and others are not so lucky and don't.

NFO is not to blame, and they have been very supportive. This is my second server with them, but why would I pay $100 a month for a 64 player (that I have reduced to 32 players) when there is no chance of it being seen by anyone, unless they are looking for a specific name?
Ironman44
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Ironman44 »

So can i run 48 players on a conquest small map ? As soon as i changed our server from large to small it filled up.
Klikster
A regular
A regular

Post by Klikster »

Brutus wrote:I have deleted the startup.txt file, made sure that all the settings are at the recommended levels, changed it from 64 players to 32 players (glad I wasted the money) and had the GUID reset a number of times.
I've done all the same, and I'm still paying for a 64 slot even though it's running a 32. Probably had the GUID reset 5 times now. I've deleted startup.txt several times, even had NFO reset my server to the stock defaults and reset the GUID at the same time once.
Brutus wrote:It's almost like some GUIDs are lucky and get into the system and others are not so lucky and don't.
Yep.
Brutus wrote:NFO is not to blame, and they have been very supportive. This is my second server with them, but why would I pay $100 a month for a 64 player (that I have reduced to 32 players) when there is no chance of it being seen by anyone, unless they are looking for a specific name?
Couldn't agree with you more, seriously. And I have no problems with NFO, I know this has nothing to do with any form of error on their end. It's just usual EA / DICE bullcrap.
Ironman44 wrote:So can i run 48 players on a conquest small map ? As soon as i changed our server from large to small it filled up.
Atleast your server CAN fill up. >_<;
Ironman44
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Ironman44 »

ALSO i would like to thank NFO for the support you guys are giving us on BF3. I realize that all these problems are issues with EA/Dice and appreciate the amount of info you are providing us as we get through the growing pains of a new release.
Red87
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Red87 »

Brutus wrote:Before R6 patch I had a 64 player server that was empty. ...

...It's almost like some GUIDs are lucky and get into the system and others are not so lucky and don't...

Pretty much this. My 48 slot is "in the list" and is full about 75% of the day, only dying off around 3-4AM EST. My 32 slot is not, and can ONLY be seen in the browser if searched for by name. I changed it to TDM which seems to have a lower number of servers, if you scroll the entire list by keeping on going down, you'll never see it. Search it by name with the TDM filter on, it shows.

The only people who've joined have found it by searching for a common word, and even then they don't stay long enough to hang around because who wants to play on an empty server?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It seems to be all about the browser. EA has acknowledged to us that it is broken and says they are looking into fixes. In the meantime, we've noticed that sometimes just changing the server *name* makes a server show up, or not show up, in that coveted "first 100" list for people. It is possible that their pseudorandom generator or hash function is partially using both the name and GUID, so if you've been having problems, try different server names.
Klikster
A regular
A regular

Post by Klikster »

Would you suggest changing the name, restarting the server and waiting? If anyone finds any working name combos please post them.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, I'd recommend that.

I think that the names that work for everyone will probably be different, in that they could be hashed with the GUID and/or IP and/or other information, but it's also possible that there is some common element to the ones that do or don't work.
Brutus
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Brutus »

I just changed the server name and the GUID and the server filled up in 1 minute. I went from CoFR - Pax Per Bellum - Chicago to [CoFR] 32 Conquest - Chicago, IL. The name didn't attract them, I think think the combo just got it into the server browser.
Klikster
A regular
A regular

Post by Klikster »

Brutus, did you change the server name then the GUID, or vice versa? Thanks!