bandwidth limit

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
enriquza
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

bandwidth limit

Post by enriquza »

How could I set up a bandwidth limit on a computer connected to a basic 5 port switch? I have two computers set up on a DSL connection. I am using a basic Linksys EZXS55W 5 port switch. I would like to set up a limit on one of the computers to only be allotted a certain amount of bandwidth.
ThatBum
A regular
A regular

Re: bandwidth limit

Post by ThatBum »

Probably not possible with the stock firmware. If it were a router you could put OpenWrt Linux on it and go to town. Not with the regular old web based control panel, anyway. Stuff like that is usually reserved for Cisco's commercial routers and switches on IOS (not Apple's iOS :P).

Cisco's docs aren't very useful.

Also, do you mean bandwidth limiting as in speed, or in total volume of data transferred? Because for the former, you might be able to force Base10 mode or something...
woowoo
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by woowoo »

Just to verify - is it prevent excess bandwidth usage or to give priority to say a gaming computer over another running downloads? If its the later then many routers can do this. If its the former, a way to back into it is to use family filter - you can then manage the type of downloads, when they happen, etc. It won't let you specifically control bandwidth but through the controls reduce the bandwidth used. Just a random idea.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

This guy has added a signature with a SEO link now, so he was just a hit-and-run spammer posting recycled nonsense. I'll close this out, ban him, and remove his sig.

You guys did a good job of trying to help him, though!