Presales questions concerning a VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Presales questions concerning a VDS

Post by axRhino »

We are considering a purchase (rental) of a virtual dedicated server and have some presales questions for you.

We will want the following:
1. Two COD2 Servers - 24 slots each.
2. One ARMA2 Server for the DayZ mod -40 slots.
3. One Battlefield3 server with 16 slots
4. One Terraria server with 10 slots.
5. One website running Joomla
6. Forums running phpbb
7. Teamspeak server with 25 slots.

Questions:
1. How are ip addresses determined and is there a limit.

2. What kind of OS would be best for those games.

3. Can all of them be installed through the VDS control panel?

4. I was considering this setup:
Six core: Raw horsepower for numerous servers or applications.
Six full, dedicated HT CPU cores (Nehalem or better)
6144 MB of RAM
600 GB of RAID-protected storage
6000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer

Which server setup would provide the needed horsepower, ram and hard drive space sufficent to run them all confortably? Would the four core setup suffice instead? (At peak times we might have 100 people playing spread across those games.) 50 for DayZ, 20 for COD2, 16 for BF3, 6 for Terraria, and 15 to 20 on teamspeak.

5. How many maximum slots can we support with that setup?

Thanks for your help.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Presales questions concerning a VDS

Post by kraze »

We will want the following:
1. Two COD2 Servers - 24 slots each.
2. One ARMA2 Server for the DayZ mod -40 slots.
3. One Battlefield3 server with 16 slots
4. One Terraria server with 10 slots.
5. One website running Joomla
6. Forums running phpbb
7. Teamspeak server with 25 slots.
You wont be able to run a BF3 server from an un-managed machine, since BF3 has private server files. If you want to run one of those you will need to go with a managed set up but then you would not be able to run a website from it, unless you plan on purchasing separate webhosting.
Questions:
1. How are ip addresses determined and is there a limit.
Managed machines come with free IP's and you can run as many servers as you like. Unmanaged machines come with one IP and additional ones are at an additional cost (defined on the order page).
2. What kind of OS would be best for those games.
It depends on if you went unmanaged or not, if managed you would need to go with the Managed Windows install since that is all BF3 supports. Either way though Windows is a decent OS for just about anything and should do you well managed or not.
3. Can all of them be installed through the VDS control panel?
If you went managed you would be able to install just about all of those via the order page, except for the TS3, Terraria, and the website, since you cannot run any of those from a managed machine.

If you went un-managed, we have an option to copy some game server files over for you when the VDS is created, but you would still need to set up and configure them all to run.
4. I was considering this setup:
Six core: Raw horsepower for numerous servers or applications.
Six full, dedicated HT CPU cores (Nehalem or better)
6144 MB of RAM
600 GB of RAID-protected storage
6000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer
You could actually do lower then that because those servers you are running are very low in slots and most likely wont use to many resources, The ArmaII server is an exception there since I know they have a minimum slot requirement of 40. I would personally start with the three or four core and see how it works.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

As a follow up let me clarify a few things.

If we go with a Managed server then we can not add games beyond what you currently support... correct?

Is there a list of those games somewhere besides the order form?

If we go Managed we will need to add the basic website and Teamspeak to the order separately?

If we add a website will that support both a Joomla website and phpbb forums?
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

Also...is DayZ supported and installed on managed servers? Or would that require an unmanged server?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

If we go with a Managed server then we can not add games beyond what you currently support... correct?
That is correct, there are a few exceptions to that such as VOIP servers. You cannot add those to a managed machine.
Is there a list of those games somewhere besides the order form?
There is not, the order form is the best place due to how accurate it will be. We do however have a list of which games support which OS;
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =51&t=4562
If we go Managed we will need to add the basic website and Teamspeak to the order separately?
That is correct, yes.
If we add a website will that support both a Joomla website and phpbb forums?
'

That is also correct.
Also...is DayZ supported and installed on managed servers? Or would that require an unmanged server
We are still working that out, I have been attempting to get in contact with the DayZ developers so I can get the files and attempt a set up on a managed system here. Since they do not require RDP anymore my first guess would be yes but I don't know what the install process is.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

kraze wrote:
Also...is DayZ supported and installed on managed servers? Or would that require an unmanged server
We are still working that out, I have been attempting to get in contact with the DayZ developers so I can get the files and attempt a set up on a managed system here. Since they do not require RDP anymore my first guess would be yes but I don't know what the install process is.
So until then we would need to use a non managed server and install it ourselves? Or just wait...

I would guess there is no ability to sidegrade to a managed server after the initial setup?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

If you have a 3-core or larger VDS, you can change between managed and unmanaged options with the OS option in the control panel, and switching it can be done at any time, just like changing your OS.
TimeX
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

TimeX wrote:If you have a 3-core or larger VDS, you can change between managed and unmanaged options with the OS option in the control panel, and switching it can be done at any time, just like changing your OS.
If you switch from unmanaged to managed do you loose your installed games and start over?

For example is we went unmanaged and installed cod2 and arma2 - dayz then switched to managed would we loose those?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Yes, the process involves an OS change, which will wipe all data just as any other OS change will.
TimeX
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

Our community has its own mod for cod2. WIll we be able to install it on a managed server?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, we support mods for CoD2 on managed servers.
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

We are ready to place our order for a managed server.

Can we get COD2, BF3 and Arma2 preinstalled or do they install via the control panel?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We have a checkbox for BF3 so that you can start off with that one. For the other two, you'll be able to add them through the order page -- when you submit an order for that type of game, the system will give you a button to add the game to your VDS, so it should be pretty painless :).
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

Thanks....what about the DayZ setup? Have youy ironed that out. Would probably be a deal breaker if we can't install that either by control panel or by hand...
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

axRhino wrote:Thanks....what about the DayZ setup? Have youy ironed that out. Would probably be a deal breaker if we can't install that either by control panel or by hand...
DayZ is not something we currently support for a managed machine.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!