Routing problem

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Routing problem

Post by axRhino »

Attached are screen grab and data files of the lag issues we are experiencing and that I reported via the ticket system. Notice the last 3 hops right in chicago.
c-74-92-122-89.managed-vds.internap-chicago.nfoservers.jpg
c-74-91-122-89.managed-vds.internap-chicago.nfoservers.jpg
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Routing problem

Post by Edge100x »

A support request is generally the best place to ask about individual routing problems.

Your first user is likely seeing a peering overload somewhere along the line on the reverse path from InterNAP. Issues like this are fairly common during high-usage periods because ISPs tend to overload their upstream connections for awhile before they upgrade them. I've seen problems with Verizon from Chicago recently because of issues within Verizon itself, but this still might be something that InterNAP can help us route around on the outbound -- I will have to see the outbound path and contact InterNAP to have them run tests.

Your second user is not having a routing problem of note. His latency at the endpoint is 45ms, which is pretty normal from Utah. The jitter is 6.25ms, which is not that bad; since this jitter starts early in the trace, it's between him and Comcast or within Comcast, so he'd need to talk to them about fixing it.

In the future, it would best to run MTRs and paste them as text, instead of screen-shotting output from another program: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =25&t=4272
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

I did create a ticket but there is no way to attach images or documents to help tickets.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

In a support request, you can link to an image hosted on a 3rd party site (such as imgur.com), but it really is best to include text output, instead.