VDS - Initial Game Setup Options

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Oaker
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VDS - Initial Game Setup Options

Post by Oaker »

""We have ready-to-go configurations for Windows 2003, Windows 2008, Gentoo, CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu, and our system will automatically install the latest versions of popular game servers for you, too, if you'd like.""

Is there a list of games available for the above highlighted option for VDS's? The last time I looked at the ordering page the drop down selection was limited, and I'm unable to locate a list on the site.

Thanks in advance...
Siren
Former staff
Former staff

Re: VDS - Initial Game Setup Options

Post by Siren »

For our managed VDS machines you can run any games that you see listed on our regular order page. Just keep in mind not all games will run on the same OS.
<Spray> Please try locking your modem in a closet, or facing it towards the wall in the corner, so it knows its misbehaved
Oaker
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Oaker »

I should have specified UN-MANAGED VDS.

Can I request specific games be installed that are not in the order page drop down list?

Games such as BF3 and RO2, or is it necessary to install them myself on an un-managed system?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Un-managed VDS's work like a standalone system. The NFO control panel is only used for simple tasks like checking bandwidth and changing the OS on the VDS, as well as rebooting etc.

Games cannot be auto-installed on an un-managed system through the drop down, you need to do it yourself(for example with hldsupdatetool for windows source based games).

BF3 cannot be run on an un-managed VDS. EA doesn't allow server customers access to most server files, they also require a licensing fee per slot. If you want a BF3 server you need to either rent one on shared game server hosting, or rent a managed VDS/dedi with BF3 slots purchased as well.
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Our system previously supported copying a selection of games to VDSes when servers were initially imaged, a system used by both our managed and unmanaged options. We switched managed servers to use an on-the-fly file copying setup in order to allow them to support all our game types and use the most updated copy of each game (as the old method allowed the installs to become a day out of date). After we did this, the old system was disabled due to its maintenance burden and the lack of customer use (with the games in that list, updates still needed to come through Steam, so I don't think customers found it terribly more convenient).

I've adjusted the text on the page you referenced (https://www.nfoservers.com/virtual-dedi ... entals.php). There are also likely KB articles that I should update.

If you need help with how to install a game, please let us know the game, and we'll provide advice :)