Dedicated NFO Servers

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
izZy
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Dedicated NFO Servers

Post by izZy »

can u plz tell me what this means??? : Choose the amount of bandwidth you are willing to commit to. | is that monthly bandwith, daily, or max bandwith??? cause i am completly clueless... also how will be able to start the dedicated server (cs) does it come with a cpannel? i mean i am interested for later but now i want to know how this works. thanks
and NFO pwns all server companies
-izZy
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

mbps means "megabits per second". We measure it via 95th percentile. If your minimum commitment were .250 mbps, that means that if you used .001, or .100, or .250 mbps, you'd still be charged as though you used the whole .250 mbps. But, we give you the flexibility to go over, so if you used .300 mbps, you would be charged for the extra .050 mbps, at the same per-mbps rate that the first .250 mbps was charged at.

To understand in more depth what "95th percentile" means, let's go over an example.

Lets say that over 20 minutes, your per-minute average usage looked like this:

First minute: .200mbps
Second: .200mbps
Third: .200mbps
4: .200mbps
5: .200mbps
6: .200mbps
7: .100mbps
8: .200mbps
9: .200mbps
10: .240mbps
11: 100.000mbps
12: .200 mbps
13: .200 mbps
14: .200 mbps
15: .200 mbps
16: .200 mbps
17: .200 mbps
18: .200 mbps
19: .200 mbps
20: .200 mbps

As you can see, you used .200 mbps most of the time but in minute #10 you used .240 mbps, and in minute #11 you maxed the whole pipe and used 100 mbps for the full minute.

95th percentile would take those samples and throw out the top 5% -- so it would throw out sample #11. Then it would take the next-highest sample, and that would be your 95th percentile usage. So your calculated 95th percentile usage would be .240 mbps.

Over an entire month, 95th percentile will end up throwing out 36 hours of usage. So you could max the whole pipe for 36 hours, and it wouldn't count any of it, taking the next highest sample as what your true usage was.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We don't provide cpanel for dedicated servers, no. Our dedicated servers are not a managed solution, either -- so it's up to you to make sure it is configured right. We do make sure it has a 99% connection to the net, and has power, and if you have a hardware problem we will take care of it.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Half-Life does include a GUI interface for dedicated servers, if you were curious. The basics to get going involve using their steam dedicated server tool to download the latest version, then runring hlds.exe and choosing your server options. You'd have to install metamod along with any other mods yourself though.
izZy
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by izZy »

hey man whats up john this is sil3ntsnipa well neways if can control my dedicated server with PcAnywhere?? if not how do i install and run stuff....
-izZy
izZy
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by izZy »

also would i be able to get the ping accelerator from u???
-izZy
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You would use remote desktop if you got a Windows XP server. It's much better than PCanywhere, and it's included with XP.

We can't give you the ping accelerator, but you could run a "ping booster" such as HLbooster. The effect would be similar.
izZy
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by izZy »

so i would be able to login right away? you would set it up? and would i be able to restart the server myself?
-izZy
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

izZy wrote:so i would be able to login right away? you would set it up? and would i be able to restart the server myself?
yes via remote desktop, you login, and you have control of the whole computer.

to restart the server, you can use the GUI and stop and start :)
-Nick
Supernuker
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Supernuker »

That sounds cool,

Anyone wanna buy me one?
|dC|2bit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by |dC|2bit »

Yeah, If you want to make a $299 a month car payment for me.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'd buy you one but ever since I broke my back wrestling, I can't seem to get a job.
StrawDragon
Staff
Staff

Post by StrawDragon »

Edge100x wrote:I'd buy you one but ever since I broke my back wrestling, I can't seem to get a job.
*lol*

How about sponsering me a server? :D :)
Supernuker
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Supernuker »

straw.. if they won't do it for me I dought they will do it for you.

Also.. if one of us does get one.. would your guys in the support channel provide help with the HLDS setup and stuff of that nature?
StrawDragon
Staff
Staff

Post by StrawDragon »

Supernuker wrote:straw.. if they won't do it for me I dought they will do it for you.

Also.. if one of us does get one.. would your guys in the support channel provide help with the HLDS setup and stuff of that nature?
I know they wont, it was more of a joke then an actual request.. Since I knew the answer before the question was even asked... But we all have even chances of being sponsered (if they were even going to do such a thing)...

What kind of remote connection do you provide with the server? Remote Desktop/ Terminal Server?

I noticed there is no backup options on the dedicated server, is that available as a option/fee?

I would hate to have to archive a dedicated server remotely...