Need Help Pickng A VDS Package

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
x Relentless Xx
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Need Help Pickng A VDS Package

Post by x Relentless Xx »

Im currently in the market for a Virtual Dedicated Server, but unsure of what package to choose. I will be running an Arma 3 server with 60+ slots and around 15-20 mod addons. Need a package where all players can run smoothly without the serving bogging down from not being able to handle that much activity. Thanks guys :D
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Need Help Pickng A VDS Package

Post by kraze »

That may be hard to do. I would recommend you start with the three core package and be ready to upgrade to the four core package if needed. Overall I would expect it to run well, but you may need to do some tweaking to your server settings and mods to optimize them.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

I've ran an ArmA 3 Altis Life server that averaged around 60-75 players, and i was using the four core plan and it didn't run well, alot of desync and bad performance, after i upgraded to a six core everything ran great, and we could handle up to 80 players no problem. But then again that all depends on the type of gamemode you plan on running and etc.
x Relentless Xx
New to forums
New to forums

kraze wrote:That may be hard to do. I would recommend you start with the three core package and be ready to upgrade to the four core package if needed. Overall I would expect it to run well, but you may need to do some tweaking to your server settings and mods to optimize them.
Is it better to do a managed server or an unmanaged server? Also, id like to get about a 40 player server instead of a 60+ player server
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Managed is definitely easier as you allow our system to do the initial game setup and we provide you with a control panel for each server. Though, in some cases people prefer doing unmanaged as they like having full control over everything.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
x Relentless Xx
New to forums
New to forums

kraze wrote:Managed is definitely easier as you allow our system to do the initial game setup and we provide you with a control panel for each server. Though, in some cases people prefer doing unmanaged as they like having full control over everything.
How would you install arma 3 mods/addons with a managed server?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

We provide full FTP access to the servers. So assuming what you want to run doesn't require any special access or permissions it should work just fine.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
x Relentless Xx
New to forums
New to forums

kraze wrote:We provide full FTP access to the servers. So assuming what you want to run doesn't require any special access or permissions it should work just fine.
Do you have to buy a seperate game server in addition to the VDS to run that game on your VDS?

Also in worst case scenario, as in 32 mods full server (40 players), would a four core run smooth without a hitch? or would a six core be preferred?
Last edited by x Relentless Xx on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

If your VDS/VPS is managed, then no as long as the game supports your OS install you can setup a server for free as long as its running on your VDS/VPS.
x Relentless Xx
New to forums
New to forums

Alright so a full 40 player Arma 3 server with 32 mods enabled, would a 4 core run without a hitch? or would i need a 6 core?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

A single server should run fine on a 4-core. ARMA, as far as I can tell by comments on these forums, uses maybe 2 cores and a little spillover.
Not a NFO employee
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

x Relentless Xx wrote:Alright so a full 40 player Arma 3 server with 32 mods enabled, would a 4 core run without a hitch? or would i need a 6 core?
This is impossible to tell without knowing what mission and what mods you intend to run. Best recommendation is to start small with a 3 core and then upgrade to a 4 or 6 core VDS, if that is neccessary.

So, what mission are you intending to run? And which mods? Maybe I can evaluate this a bit and narrow it down.
x Relentless Xx
New to forums
New to forums

Caliban55 wrote:
x Relentless Xx wrote:Alright so a full 40 player Arma 3 server with 32 mods enabled, would a 4 core run without a hitch? or would i need a 6 core?
This is impossible to tell without knowing what mission and what mods you intend to run. Best recommendation is to start small with a 3 core and then upgrade to a 4 or 6 core VDS, if that is neccessary.

So, what mission are you intending to run? And which mods? Maybe I can evaluate this a bit and narrow it down.
im planning on maybe running an invade and annex mission (undecided) and all of our mods are listed here
http://homelanddefenseforce.enjin.com/addons
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

I think a 3 core should be able to handle that.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

Invade and Annex should not be that demanding and the mod list also does not look like there are any heavy performance depending candidates in there.

If you start with a 3-core VDS you can still upgrade should it become necessary.

A managed VDS offers the benefit that you do not have to bother with keeping the server updated and you will have a easy access interface. On the other hand, you will need a good upstream internet connection to upload all the mod files (or it will take longer otherwise), which can be a bit annoying with mods that are updated frequently.

The unmanaged VDS offers you the ability to use Play.WithSix, Steam Workshop subscriptions, direct downloads to install the mods. Downside here is that you have to set up and manage the server yourself.