Unmanaged Windows Server 2012 How do I set up Name Servers to point my domain to?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Jak3
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Unmanaged Windows Server 2012 How do I set up Name Servers to point my domain to?

Post by Jak3 »

I have WAMP installed on an unmanaged Windows 2012 server and can't figure out how to set up nameservers to point my domain to. I have DNS tools installed on the Server Manager dashboard (unsure how to configure this properly) and hosting a domain via GoDaddy. Will I be creating my own nameservers or using public/standard nameservers provided by GoDaddy or another service?
Markie
A regular
A regular

Re: Unmanaged Windows Server 2012 How do I set up Name Servers to point my domain to?

Post by Markie »

Are you just trying to point your domain towards your VDS? Creating an A record would do this via your GoDaddy control panel under DNS settings.
Jak3
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Unmanaged Windows Server 2012 How do I set up Name Servers to point my domain to?

Post by Jak3 »

Markie wrote:Are you just trying to point your domain towards your VDS? Creating an A record would do this via your GoDaddy control panel under DNS settings.
Looks like it's working now, thanks!

I have two hostnames set up in GoDaddy (ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com) assigned to two IP addresses provided by NFO and it seems to work if the domain's nameservers are assigned to these only. Out of curiosity, is this the proper setup and intended behavior?
Markie
A regular
A regular

Post by Markie »

Yes, the name servers hosted by your domain provider are intended to resolve the IP addresses within your domains DNS settings.

Generally, you'd want an A record of "@" pointing towards your main NFO provided IP address.

DNS records can point your domain towards different applications/locations for example;

Code: Select all

NAME TYPE TTL IP
chi A 1h 216.52.148.4
dal A 1h 66.150.214.8
More information regarding records from your domain provider can be found here;

https://www.godaddy.com/help/managing-d ... -names-680