Managed VPS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Inputnamehere
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Managed VPS

Post by Inputnamehere »

I have a 4 core windows managed vps, and 525MB is used for the OS, but it says to leave 400MB free to provide a disk cache and and OS buffer. Is that the already 525MB used for or must I leave another 400MB free?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Managed VPS

Post by kraze »

That amount is the minimum amount you'll want to leave available at all times, this it to prevent the OS from swapping to disk which will not only kill your performance, but can hurt the performance of the overall machine.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Inputnamehere
A regular
A regular

Post by Inputnamehere »

I must save a total of 525MB OS and 400MB disk cache and OS buffer?

Well I know linux manages resources well, if I switch to linux managed how much does it take up for OS buffer and the OS itself, if it takes up anything.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

What the OS is currently using doesn't matter. 400MB is just the amount you want to leave available at all times.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

400 MB is a general recommendation for a buffer based on our experiences with various OSes and common applications (including game servers), how their usage fluctuates over time, and how they handle low memory conditions. We should likely update it to a higher number now, as memory-hungry applications are now more common.

A buffer is needed to ensure that memory doesn't run out during somewhat abnormal usage. When memory runs out, the OS has to start swapping to disk, and performance tanks; the system also may crash, or try to kill high-usage processes.